Wednesday 17 April 2013

School of Pop!

Kind of a short post, just sharing some work done for a local grassroots music event. But it's always exciting to chart out the design direction and feel for large events, and definitely more so for festivals...



























I guess for me it feels like almost solving a puzzle of some sort, and defining the look is always the toughest (and sometimes most enjoyable)  part of the ride. My client had suggested an MTV kind of feel, but after some experimenting I came up with the imagery of a lone rocker girl on a school table that they liked.

I basically went on further explore the look and expand it into the other collateral and designs for the event, such as the backdrop, posters, social media etc. Big shoutout to Janice and her team at Rivervale CC for the crazy 2 weeks that went behind preparing for the event, and for taking a risk with the rather "strange" faceless figures, I think it worked out. It was an enjoyable experience despite the mad rush, although I do wish I had more time to refine the final colour palette.

But the strangeness of it all is that I only really started working on events purely by chance. This was way back in junior college, where I had to conceptualise the decor for a couple of school events (which although unforgettable, certainly had its share of late nights, madness and tears).

And then somewhat by chance again (amazing luck I have), I went on to become the publicity chief for an arts festival in university which was its own monster to handle really. This was only possible with the help of an amazing team of 5 (cheers to Ersalina, Chi Theng, Joel & Harng) who helped create everything for this 2 month marathon.

That's really all I have for now, thanks for listening to an old man rant and reminisce about the good old days :P stay safe and hopefully attend a couple of those pesky art festivals now, it really is a lot of hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment